7 Jobs Where You’ll Need a Heavy Rigid Licence

Many Employment opportunities are available for HR licence holders.

You’re considering applying for a job but don’t know if it requires a Heavy Rigid licence. Or, maybe you already have one and want to ensure that you are making the most of your investment. Knowing what opportunities await you with your special licence will give you an idea of what direction to take. This list of jobs will let you know if you need to make a big investment and get a Heavy Rigid licence.

What jobs require you to have a Heavy Rigid Licence?

In general, drivers of large trucks will probably need a Heavy Rigid (HR) licence. However, there are also other jobs that require this particular licence. Here are a few of these jobs.

Drivers of fuel tankers

1.     Drivers of fuel tankers

Several large fuel companies operate in Australia and are in need of drivers with HR licences. These drivers will transport fuel across the country using heavy tankers. Although classified as dangerous goods that require the Dangerous Goods (DG) licence while being transported, fuel differs slightly from general freight DG.

Drivers of fuel tankers will also need to complete the Safe Load Program (SLP) course, which is an introduction to the fuel tanker industry. Upon completion of the SLP program, fuel tanker drivers will need to undergo in-house training once they get hired by one of the fuel companies.

Transporting dangerous goods

2.     Transporting dangerous goods

Many companies need large quantities of dangerous goods transported locally or on a national scale. This type of work has plenty of various opportunities for drivers holding a Heavy Rigid licence. This is why many truck drivers consider an HR licence as a stepping stone that will allow them entry into the world of transporting DG.

These drivers are also required to undergo additional training that will enable them to get a Dangerous Goods licence.

Drivers of buses or coaches

3.     Drivers of buses or coaches

Holders of an HR licence can also choose to work in the public transport and private coaches industries. Whilst most public buses only have two axles that only require the Medium Rigid (MR) licence, the HR licence broadens any driver’s opportunity. Having an HR licence will allow them to drive regular buses as well as larger variants such as articulated or bendy buses.

Private coaches are mostly 3-axled, heavy rigid vehicles, so they also require an HR licence. This allows them to carry the combined loads of both passengers and luggage.

Bus or coach drivers are required to undergo additional training, such as a Bus Driver Authority (BDA). Transport NSW requires this extra training for anyone wishing to drive a bus and other public passenger vehicles.

Drivers of garbage/recycling trucks and other waste removal vehicles

4.     Drivers of garbage/recycling trucks and other waste removal vehicles

Operating vehicles that are used to collect garbage and recycling materials require an HR licence. It is a great place to start a truck-driving career and gain valuable experience that can further any heavy rigid-related work in the future. Local councils are the best place to look for waste removal and other HR driving jobs.

Construction and mining

5.     Construction and mining

Both the construction and mining industries regularly look for drivers with HR licences. These jobs include carrying materials from and to the mine and other worksites, as well as operating vehicle-mounted cranes and elevated work platforms (EWPs). As a result, there is always a demand for HR drivers in these industries.

In the construction industry, drivers and other workers will be required to obtain a white card or general construction induction card. The white card is required for:

  • site managers, supervisors, drivers, tradespeople and labourers
  • people who operate in construction zones, whether accompanied or not directly supervised by an inducted person
  • workers whose job requires them to enter operational construction zones routinely
Removalists and general freight

6.     Removalists and general freight

Companies in the general freight industry are always looking for Heavy Rigid licence holders to drive their vehicles. For example, removalists utilise oversized HR vehicles in transporting various loads of white goods and furniture throughout the country.

Investing time and money in additional training can help to improve the chances of getting better jobs in these areas and make workers function efficiently. The Manual Handling training can help make sure that any physical lifting that a worker does is done efficiently and safely. On the other hand, a forklift licence course can be beneficial to those who want to work loading and unloading in warehouses.

Long-distance hauling

7.     Long-distance hauling

Transporting freight may require interstate or long-distance travel. Jobs in this industry will often require a larger licence. Whether it is a Heavy Combination (HC) or Multi-Combination (MC) licence, it will require a driver to have at least one year of experience in a heavy rigid vehicle. The HR is a great place to start and gain experience for those who want to driving bigger oversized vehicles in the future.

How to get a Heavy Rigid Licence

To get a heavy vehicle licence, you should pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge Test for the specific licence that you are after. It is a computer-based test that you must pass before you can apply for a Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) or a heavy vehicle driving test.

To apply for a Heavy Rigid Licence specifically, you must:

  • be a holder of a Class C licence or equivalent for a minimum of 2 years
  • pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge Test
  • pass an eyesight test
  • pass a heavy vehicle driving test or complete the HVCBA

Train with CS Transport Training

If you have decided to pursue a career in HR, CS Transport Training (CSTT) can help make your dream a reality. We offer a wide range of truck driving courses, including Heavy Rigid Training and Assessment. Our HR training and assessment program typically can be completed in approximately 17 hours. It is available at CSTT in Newcastle, Hunter Valley, Mid North Coast and Central Coast. To learn more about our products and services, email chris@cstt.com.au or call 0434 366 758.

Book Your Course Now