Dangerous Goods Licence NSW

Dangerous Goods Licence NSW

If you work for transporting dangerous goods, you will need to acquire a driver’s license over and above the one you likely already have, a Dangerous Goods Licence. The process and requirements needed for you to obtain a license varies slightly from state to state. 

Before applying for your dangerous goods driver licence, you must complete the training course: TLILIC0001 Course in the transport of dangerous goods by road.  

Read on to learn more about the process and requirements of an NSW dangerous goods license.

What Are Dangerous Goods?

Dangerous goods are those materials or substances that pose an acute risk to the public, property, and environment.

The United Nations identifies nine classes of dangerous goods:

Class 1 – Explosive Materials

This group covers substances with explosion hazards, fragment-projecting materials, firebrands, and other fire hazards.

Class 2 – Gases

Flammable gases, toxic gases, and other gas that are neither flammable or toxic, but still dangerous in large amounts such as helium and oxygen.

Class 3 – Flammable Liquids

Liquids and solutions that are flammable and give off flammable vapours.

Class 4 – Flammable Solids

Highly flammable solids and other substance that could emit flammable gases upon contact with other materials.

Class 5 – Oxidising Substances and Organic Pesticides

This category covers all substances that react with oxygen to create harmful chemicals, and organic pesticides.

Class 6 – Toxic and Infectious Substances

Cyanides, arsenic, medical waste, pathology specimens and other materials that are considered toxic or infectious.

Class 7 – Radioactive Materials

Materials that have radioactivity greater than 70 kilobecquerels per kilogram.

Class 8 – Corrosive Materials

This class includes corrosive liquids and solids that can cause critical damage to living tissues or destroy other goods where it’s stored. Battery acids, mercury, and sulfuric acid are some of the substances in this category.

Class 9 – Miscellaneous

Any other articles not mentioned above may cause serious damage to people, property, or the environment. This includes solid dry ice, asbestos, dangerous machine components, and anaesthetic materials.

All of the items in these classes are dangerous, and as such, certain principles must be followed to ensure everyone’s safety during their transport. These hazardous items can be moved safely as long as appropriate measures have been taken.

Dangerous Goods Licence NSW

Who Administers NSW Dangerous Goods Licenses

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is the governing body that implements the Road and Rail Transport Act 1997 for Dangerous Goods.

The EPA New South Wales works with businesses, communities, and government agencies to prevent degradation of the environment within the state. They make sure it happens through pollution reduction programs, prosecution of code violators, providing support to government bodies, and administering environment protection licenses such as the dangerous goods license.

To transport dangerous goods in NSW, a dangerous goods license is required if the vehicle is carrying any amount of dangerous goods in a container with a capacity of more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms.

If you transport intermediate bulk containers (IBC) with a capacity not more than 3,000 litres, you won’t be required to get a dangerous goods driver’s license. However, the IBC must not be filled or emptied while on the vehicle.

Dangerous Goods - CS Transport Training

Who Can Apply for Dangerous Goods License In NSW?

For an applicant to be eligible they must:

  • Be a resident of NSW
  • Be medically fit
  • Have a clean history as a driver
  • Have a full driver’s license

Requirements for Dangerous Goods License

To apply for dangerous goods driver’s license in NSW, here’s a list of what you’ll need:

  • A completed application form for dangerous goods license.
  • Certification from an accredited training organisation that you completed the Preparation to Transport Dangerous Goods by Road (TLILIC3013A) within the last 6 months.
  • Payment for an application fee.
  • A medical certificate issued within the last 6 months.
  • Certified driving history for the previous five years from licensing authorities that issued you a driving license at that time.
  • Two passport-size coloured photos.
  • Copy of full driver’s license.
  • Copy of interstate dangerous goods driver’s license if applicable.

Frequently Asked Questions

Acquiring a dangerous goods driver’s license is a step up from getting a regular driver’s permit. You need to demonstrate your competency, not to mention the amount of paperwork needed by the administering body to ensure the safety of their people, property, and environment within the territory.

What’s covered by the TLILIC0001 course?

The License Transport Dangerous Goods by Road (TLILIC0001) covers all aspects of the Australian Dangerous Goods 7.5 Code (ADG) and Chain of Responsibility of all Individuals. It will cover the following:

  • Legislative requirements
  • Classes of dangerous goods
  • Packaging groups
  • Placarding and marking of loads
  • Stowage of dangerous goods
  • Services load restraint guide
  • Segregation responsibilities
  • Class compatibility
  • Documentation requirements and procedure
  • Hazchem codes
  • Safety equipment
  • Fire extinguisher selection and location
  • Precautions during transporting

How long does it usually take to finish the training?

The course takes about 16 hours and is usually spread over two days.

How long is the validity of the dangerous goods license?

Dangerous goods driver’s licenses are valid for five years.

What if I failed my assessment?

Accredited training agencies will notify you about the result. A copy of the assessment will be sent highlighting the areas you need to work on.

How long does the processing for a dangerous goods license take?

It usually takes approximately 14 to 21 days.

I have a current dangerous goods license from a different state, can I transport dangerous goods in NSW?

Yes, you can drive and transport dangerous goods if you have a license issued from other territories.

How much is the fee for training and license?

The training fee is set by the organisation and is not included in the fees paid to EPA for dangerous goods driver’s license.

Book Your Course Now